New Volunteer Opportunities at SOFO
Do you enjoy telling the stories about the museum’s collection? Are you someone who enjoys being hands-on and getting stuck into events? The museum is on the lookout for Engagement Volunteers to support the museum to engage visitors from all ages.
Become an Engagement Volunteer!
About the Role
We are looking for Engagement Volunteers to support the museum in engaging visitors of all ages.
For volunteering with younger visitors, we need support with:
- Helping to prep and deliver the museum’s education programme for Key Stage 1 and 2
- Supporting family workshops during the holidays
- Contributing creative ideas for family friendly activities throughout the museum
For volunteering with older visitors, we need support with:
- Assisting with the delivery of talks, such as ‘Oxfordshire’s Military History in 50 Objects’
- Supporting handling object sessions with different community groups
- Carrying out research to develop the outreach programme
You can decide to focus on delivering engagement to adults or children, or both!
You do not need to have any prior experience of the national curriculum, but an interest in social or military history or museum work would be helpful. Full training on how to use our resources including how to handle the objects will be given, along with tea and biscuits! A DBS check will be required.
Skills you could develop:
- Experience being part of an engagement programme
- Developing the ability to adapt material for different audiences
- Museum object handling
If you are interested in becoming an Engagement Volunteer, please contact Kim Davies, the Collections and Public Engagement Manager at email@example.com
About the Museum
The Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum is a military museum that explores the relationship between conflict and the county of Oxfordshire from the American War of Independence to the modern day.
We have an integrated archive at the museum, which houses the collections of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, the Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars), and our own SOFO collection which incorporates material from the Ox and Bucks as well as local and social history objects.